Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood and The Duchess of Northumberland : REVIEW







Jessamine is a 16 year old girl who lives with her father who is a doctor of sorts. She comes across as a lonely girl who is made to do every chore in the house while her father tends to his plants or locks himself up in his study. She loves to walk around in the garden but is forbidden from entering the Poison Garden. One day a young, mysterious boy named Weed comes to live with them and Jessamine finds herself slowly falling for him. But Weed has a secret. One that can make her question her loyalty to her father and tear her family apart. 


I finished this book in 2 days. The language was fluid and the story itself was fast paced so I never felt like it was drawn out. I liked the diary entries at the beginning of each chapter as it gave me a sense of the emotions of  Jessamine and Weed. I was initially confused about which century this story takes place in as I was under the impression that it was set in the 21st Century. I was amazed by the characters of the book especially Thomas Luxlon and The Prince ;). 




The plot was very different from what I normally read and it was a pleasant change. There were twists and turns I definitely didn't expect, but that only made it better. The story concludes with an open ending and  left me wanting more.  Although it stills borders on the 'beyond natural', I wouldn't quite classify it as a paranormal read. 




Cover - 4.5/5 

Plot - 3.5/5 

Characters - 4/5 

Overall - 4/5


Find out more about The Poison Diaries at the following links



4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first review Clary! Not bad for a first attempt...Im definitely looking forward to reading more of your reviews in future... =)

    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! That was pretty good. :) Always did love your blog.

    X0X0
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going Clary! May this review be the first of many. Love your blog!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book because it is set where I live! It always makes a book extra special when that's the case. :) Wonderful review, thanks for sharing it with us.

    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page
    Drop by & enter my International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete